Maple-Pomegranate Glazed Country Ham
15-17 pound Blue Grass Country Ham (cured and smoked)
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoon grainy mustard
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Water Cooking Method for Whole County Hams:
1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
2. Place ham in tall roaster pan.
3. Fill within 2″ of top of roaster pan with water, covering ham. Add 1 cup brown sugar to water (optional).
4. Insert meat thermometer into thickest area of ham and simmer at 250°F until internal temperature reaches 158°F.
5. While ham is cooking prepare glaze. Combine pomegranate juice, maple syrup, grainy mustard and apple cider vinegar in a saucepan set over high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened and syrupy.
6. Once ham reaches 158°F, remove it from roaster pan and drain all but 1 – 2” of water. Place ham on rack in roaster pan above water.
7. Increase oven temperature to heat to 375°F. Roast ham open for 30 to 40 minutes, uncovered, basting with pomegranate-maple glaze every 10 minutes. Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
— Kara S.